All personal information gathered during the provision of psychological services will remain confidential & secure except where:
- It is subpoenaed by a court;
- If disclosure is otherwise required or authorised by law;
- Failure to disclose the information would place you or another person at imminent risk of harm;
- Your prior consent has been obtained to discuss your treatment with a 3rd party or another professional
- You are receiving psychological services under the Allied Mental Health Medicare Services Scheme. Under this scheme I am required to provide the referring medical practitioner with reports that include information on assessments undertaken, treatment provided & recommendations for future management. One report is provided to your medical practitioner after the first 6 sessions & a second report is provided following completion of a further 4 sessions or at the completion of treatment.
The Use and Storage of your Personal Information
As part of providing a psychological service, I will need to collect & record information that is relevant to your current situation. This information is a necessary part of the psychological assessment & treatment. You do not have to give all your personal information, but if you choose not to, this may mean that you may not benefit fully from the therapeutic process. This information is seen only by me, & is stored securely on the premises, in accordance with the APS Psychologists Code of Ethics. It is retained in order to document what happens during the sessions, & enables me to provide a relevant & informed psychological service. At any time you are able to access the information kept on file about you, unless the relevant legislation indicates otherwise.
Non-attendance at our sessions is to the detriment of three people – you for this missed opportunity, myself as I have reserved valuable time for you, & another client who could have used the time. If you need to cancel or postpone the appointment, please provide at least 24 hours notice, otherwise you may be charged a cancellation fee ($80) for the session.
Termination of Therapy
It is preferable that the termination of therapy is negotiated between us; such a discussion may be initiated by either party. However, you may withdraw from therapy, or from participating in any therapeutic procedure at any time.